Cannabis Stocks Forum & Discussion

Welcome to the Cannabis Investing Newsletter Forum. This is for the cannabis stocks forum & discussion. Feel free to find your favorite cannabis stocks and contribute content as you please; content that continues the discussion of, and analysis of, cannabis stocks. – D. H. Taylor

Notifications
Clear all

Federal Reserve Raised Short Term Interest Rates

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
D. H. Taylor
(@dhtaylor)
Noble Member Admin
Topic starter  

The Federal Reserve has raised short term interest rates by 50 basis points.  This is the first time in two decades that the Fed did a 50 basis point move upward.  The hope is that inflation is held at bay.  But, in a statement released by Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell, he said that the Fed had not been considering a bigger increase in interest rates; he believed inflation would be contained.  And, with that, the stock market breathed a collective sigh of relief… and rallied some 1,000 points in one day.

I am going to break down what inflation looks like right now.  And, I am going to break down how a 50 basis point move looks for the future.  I will show that inflation is likely to be contained and that despite there being higher interest rates coming soon, the economy is quite strong and will move forward.

ReplyQuote
brad clarke
(@bradclarke80gmail-com)
Trusted Member

Seems like the market called the feds bluff the day after the rally? What is your thoughts on that? 

D. H. Taylor reacted
ReplyQuote

D. H. Taylor
(@dhtaylor)
Noble Member Admin
Topic starter  

@bradclarke80gmail-com 

Hey Brad... generally, I think this is overblown.  But, there is a bit of merit to it.  

First, we have seen this before. Do a Google search on the term: Taper Tantrum.  When the Fed took us off Quantitative Easing back in 2013 - 2014, the market had fits just like a terrible 2-year-old. But, ultimately, the stock market went higher.  

Interest rates are the basis for how to value a stock.  If interest rates are at 1% then stocks will reflect that in their metrics for valuation.  If a stock yields a certain amount of EPS; perhaps $2.50 off of a $100.00 share price, or 2.5%, then that would be about correct with interest rates at that level.  But, interest rates are heading higher on the 10-year.  If the 10-year suddenly went to 5%, then the valuation of stocks would have to go higher along with interest rates.  That means that the same stock trading at 2.5% yield now needs to go down in order to give an investor a yield commensurate of the interest rate environment.  

But... that same stock is still only paying an investor the $2.50 annual earnings.  However, that $2.50 might need to move upward to 6% keeping it comparable to current interest rates.  That means that same stock would drop down to about $41.65 to pay a 6% EPS with $2.50.  Ouch.  That's a haircut.

But... revenues are going to increase during the future and, so will future EPS.  There will be an adjustment and a balance is struck in between the two pricings.  

Once that balance is "discovered", then stocks will start their long, slow move back upward.  But, I do not believe we see an extreme move upward very rapidly.  Ultra-low interest rates drove the stock market upward really quickly.  Interest rates getting back to normal will moderate the future moves higher in the stock market.  

The question becomes: How high with interest rates go?  I don't think we go to 5% in the 10-year any time soon.  Might take about 2 years.  That means stocks won't go downward as much.  

let me know if you have any other questions.  

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:

Copyright Cannabis Investing Newsletter 2021 - 2022